Saturday 14 January 2023

My Passion For DJing & House Music Has Been Reignited!

I've never had any of my DJ mixes described as 'beautiful' before, but I did the other day when a colleague at work came up to me and said she'd listened to one of my latest DJ mixes, 'Resident Grooves #211' to be specific, and described it as beautiful and admitted to listening to it at least a couple of times! I thanked her for her appreciation and told her that I had actually been out of the DJ game for 12 years and only got back into it again last year, to which she was surprised and replied that the music I play was definitely her jam and to never stop playing but to keep carrying on! I was left very chuffed!

It's comments like that, as well as the reaction after my first live DJ where several people I didn't know came up to me and said that they loved the tunes I was playing in my set, that spur me on, back continuing to do something I love again, if still a little bit rusty.

Back in the day, circa 2001-2011, I was very much into dance music; from trance, house and beyond, going to the big clubs, events and festivals like Godskitchen, Gatecrasher and Global Gathering, as well as my annual pilgrimage to Ibiza, which all inspired me to put on nights in local bars and clubs, get behind the decks myself, and of course, to create the Residentclubber website. But for one reason or another, life eventually got in the way and things fizzled out. 

But over the past couple of years or so, I'm loving House music again; enjoying listening to various podcasts and radio shows from DJ's and record labels and playlists on the music streaming sites. All this great new music I've been listening to pushed me towards getting myself a Pioneer DDJ400 DJ controller in early 2022 as a birthday present to myself, with the aim of creating DJ mixes again and in the hope of getting a chance to actually play out live in venues again.

Fast-forward eight months later, and I've revived my DJ mix series, 'Resident Grooves' - a blend of deep, vocal and tech house music and now up to show #214 - which I upload to Mixcloud and Youtube; and was even offered an hour slot behind the decks again for the first time since 2011, which I gladly accepted!!!

I may be getting on in years now, but I am feeling a new zest in life, as if something has awoken in me again, and my passion for music, and house music in particular, has been reignited! I can't wait to see where the journey takes me again!

No comments:

Post a Comment